Hi! You've reached the personal page of Amy Lara, associate professor of philosophy at Kansas State.
My research interests are in ethical theory and moral psychology. I'm currently working on two projects:
- I'm exploring links between Kantian ethics and neo-Aristotelian virtue ethics, particularly on the issue of the codifiability of moral knowledge, and the role that moral principles play in practical reasoning.
- I'm also working on the ethics of scientific communication. There is some debate within the scientific community about whether it is appropriate to use communication techniques such as "framing." Philosophers working in applied ethics have not spent much time discussing the ethics of communication techniques like this, so I'm looking at ways Kantian ethics might be used to provide ethical guidelines for scientific communication.
Here is my CV (pdf format)
More on science ethics
- Matthew Nisbet's blog: Age of Engagement
- Research Communication Ethics Project, a K-State research project
- Research ethics teaching resources