Welcome to the Homepage of
Philip G. Gayle
Manhattan, KS 66506-4001
Office: 320 Waters Hall
Last updated: 6/2/2013
(13) “On the Efficiency of Codeshare Contracts Between Airlines: Is Double Marginalization Eliminated?” Forthcoming in American Economic Journal: Microeconomics.
(12) “State Variation in the Determinants of Motor Vehicle Fatalities,” (with Michael W. Babcock), Journal of the Transportation Research Forum, Vol. 48, No. 3, Fall 2009.
(11) “Exports vs. FDI: Do Firms use FDI as a Mechanism to Smooth Demand Volatility?” (with Yang-Ming Chang), Review of World Economics, Vol. 145, No. 3, pp. 447-467, October 2009.
(10) “Has the Byrd Amendment affected U.S. Imports?” (with Thitima Puttitanun), The World Economy, Vol. 32, Issue 4, April 2009.
(9) “An Empirical Analysis of the Competitive Effects of the Delta/Continental/Northwest Codeshare Alliance,” Journal of Law and Economics, Vol. 51, pp. 743-766, November 2008.
(8) “Airline Code-share Alliances and their Competitive Effects,” Journal of Law and Economics, Vol. 50, pp. 781-819, November 2007.
(7) “Vertical Contracting Between Airlines: An Equilibrium Analysis of Codeshare Alliances,” (with Yongmin Chen), International Journal of Industrial Organization, Vol. 25, pp. 1046-1060, 2007.
(6) “Is Virtual Codesharing A Market Segmenting Mechanism Employed by Airlines?” Economics Letters, Vol. 95, No. 1, pp. 17-24, April 2007.
(5) “Are Input Prices Irrelevant for Make-or-Buy Decisions?” (with Dennis Weisman), Journal of Regulatory Economics, Vol. 32, pp. 195-207, 2007.
(4) “Efficiency Trade-Offs in the Design of Competition Policy for the Telecommunications Industry” (with Dennis Weisman), Review of Network Economics, Vol. 6, Issue 3, September 2007.
(3) “Competition & Investment in Telecommunications,” (with Inung Jung, and Dale Lehman), Applied Economics, Vol. 40, Issue 3, pp. 303-313, February 2008.
(2) “The Continued Dumping and Subsidy Offset Act: An Economic Analysis,” (with Yang-Ming Chang), Southern Economic Journal, Vol. 73, No. 2, October 2006.
(1) “Estimating the Demand and Supply of Treasury Bills in Barbados: a co-integration approach,” (with Roland Craigwell), Money Affairs, Centre for Latin American Monetary Studies, Vol. X, No.1, January-June, 1997.
(1) “Measuring Merger Cost Effects: Evidence from a Dynamic Structural Econometric Model,” (with Huubinh Le) Manuscript, Kansas State University, 2013. This paper won the Robert F. Lanzillotti Prize for Best Paper in Antitrust Economics at the 11th annual International Industrial Organization Conference (IIOC), held in Boston, Massachusetts, May 17-19, 2013.
(2) “Entry Deterrence and Strategic Alliances: Evidence from a Dynamic Structural Econometric Model,” (with Xin Xie) Manuscript, Kansas State University, 2013.
(3) “Airline Alliances and their Effects on Costs: Evidence from a Dynamic Structural Econometric Model,” (with Huubinh Le) Manuscript, Kansas State University, 2013.
(4) “Are Air Travel Markets Segmented along the Lines of Nonstop versus Intermediate-stop(s) Products?” (with Chi-Yin Wu), Manuscript, Kansas State University, 2013.
(5) “A Re-examination of Incumbents’ Response to the Threat of Entry: Evidence from the Airline Industry,” (with Chi-Yin Wu), Manuscript, Kansas State University, 2013.
(6) “Airline Strategic Alliances in Overlapping Markets: Should Policymakers be Concerned?” (with Dave Brown), Manuscript, Kansas State University, 2012.
(7) “Choosing between Order-of-Entry Assumptions in Empirical Entry Models: Evidence from Competition between Burger King and McDonald’s Restaurant Outlets,” (with Zijun Luo), Manuscript, Kansas State University, 2012.