The following law review or journal articles have caught my attention, and may stimulate your thinking for public lands and natural resources law term papers. These generally are recent articles, available either through interlibrary loan, or my office if I have made a copy. The Index to Legal Periodicals should be consulted, using the terms "Public Lands" and other key words of the course.
- Bader, H.R., Potential Legal Standards for Resolving the R.S. 2477 ROW Crisis, 11 Pace
Envtl. L. Rev. 485-515 (1994).
- Coggins, G.C. and R.L. Glicksman, Power, Procedure and Policy in Public Lands and
Resources Law. 10 Natural Resources & Environment, 3(8) (1995).
- Hungerford, Andrea, 'Custom and Culture' Ordinances: Not a Wise Move for the Wise
Use Movement, 8 Tulane Envtl. L. J. 457-503 (1995).
- Olpin, O., Toward Jeffersonian Governance of the Public Lands, 27 Loyala L.A. L.Rev.
- Braun, Emerging Limits on Federal Land Management Discretion; Livestock, Riparian Ecosystems
& Clean Water Law, 17 Env't'l Law 43 (1986).
- Blumm, Micheal and Thea Schwartz, Mono Lake and the Evolving Trust in Western Water, 37 Ariz. L.Rev. 701 (1995).
- Coggins, George C., Watershed as a Public Natural Resource on the Federal Lands, 11
Virginia Envtl. L. J. 1 (1991).
- Koehler, Cynthia L., Water Rights and the Public Trust Doctrine: Resolution of the Mono
Lake Controversy, 22 Ecology L. Q. 541-589 (1995).
- Leshy, John, Water and Wilderness/Law and Politics, 23 Land & Water L.Rev. 389 (1988).
- Sax, Joseph. L, The Limits of Private Rights in Public Waters, 19 Envtl. L 473 (1989).
- Styron, J.W., Regulation of Nonpoint Sources of Water Pollution on Public Lands, 41
Naval L.Rev. 97-114 (1993).
Minerals / Mining / BLM
- Alfers, S.D., American Mining Law Reform, 12 J. Energy & Natural Resources L. 424-41
Timber / Forests / Forest Service
Range / Grazing lands / BLM
- Feller, J.M., Grazing Management on the Public Lands: Opening the Process to Public
Participation, 26 Land & Water L. Rev. 571 (1991).
- Kollmorgen, The Woodsman's Assaults on the Domain of the Cattleman, 59 Annals
of the Assoc. of Amer. Geog's., 215 - 239 (1969).
Wildlife / Refuges / USFWS
- Keiter, R.B., Wolf Recovery Under the E.S.A.: A Study in Contemporary Federalism, 11
Public Land L. Rev. 19 (1990).
- Sax, Joseph L., Nature and Habitat Conservation and Protection in the United States, 20
Ecology L. Q. 47-56 (1993).
Recreation / NPS
- Conner, M., Extracting the Monkey Wrench from Glen Canyon Dam: the Grand Canyon
Protection Act -- an Attempt at Balance, 15 Publ. Land L. Rev. 135-165 (1994).
- Glicksman and Coggins, Federal Recreational Land Policy; The Rise and Decline of the
Land and Water Conservation Fund, 9 Colum. J.Envtl.L. 125 (1984).
Preservation / Wilderness
- Edwards, Keeping Wilderness Areas Wild: Legal Tools for Management, 6 Va.J.Nat.Res.L. 101
- Rohlf & Honnold, Managing the Balances of Nature: The Legal Framework of Wilderness
Management, 15 Ecology L.Q. 249 (1988).
General Issues: Economics, Planning, Land Ethics, Pollution
- Blumm, Micheal, Fallacies of Free Market Environmentalism, 15 Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy 371 (1992).
- Coggins, George C., The Developing Law of Land Use Planning on the Federal Lands, 61
Univ. Colo. L.Rev. 307, (1990).
- Coggins, George C. Eleven Reasons to Disregard this Commentary on the Brave New Era
in Western Public Land Law, 65 U. Colo. L. Rev. 410-6 (1994).
- Freyfogle, Eric, The Land Ethic and Pilgrim Leopold, 22 Land Use & Env't L. Rev. 3
(1991) / 61 Univ. Colo. L.Rev. 217 (1990).
- Glicksman, Robert L., Pollution on the Federal Lands III: Regulation of Solid and Hazardous
Waste Management, 13 Stanford Envtl. L. J. 3-77 (1994).
- Lambert and Chase, Remedying CERCLA's Natural Resource Damages Provisions:
Incorporation of Public Trust Doctrine into Natural Resource Damages Actions, 11 Virginia Env't'l L. J.
- Mansfield, M.E., A Primer of Public Land Law, 68 Wash. L. Rev. 801-57 (1993).
- SYMPOSIUM, "A new era for the Western public lands", 65 U. Colo. L. Rev. 193-458
- SYMPOSIUM, "Public lands and agricultural pollution", 30 Idaho L.Rev. 433-670 (1993-94).
Return to Syllabus